Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Uniformity with God's Will

I've been picking up here and there a 30 page booklet recommended by my brother-in-law's wife called Uniformity with God's Will by Saint Alphonsus de Liguori.  I would recommend this to anyone and everyone. It is very rich in wisdom.  I keep it in my purse so if I'm waiting at a doctor's office or something I can pull it out.  There is a story he shared in it that I wanted to share.

"Our Lord assured his apostles: 'Your joy no man shall take from you...That your joy may be full' (john 16:22.24).  He who unites his will to God's, experiences a full and lasting joy; full, because he has what he wants, as was explained above; lasting, because no one can take his joy from him, since no one can prevent what God wills from happening.

The devout Father John Tauler relates this personal experience: For years he had prayed God to send him someone who would teach him the real spiritual life.  One day, at prayer, he heard a voice saying: 'Go to such and such a church and you will have the answer to your prayers.'  He went and at the door of the church he found a beggar, barefooted and in rags.  He greeted the mendicant saying: 'Good day, my friend.'

'Thank you, sir, for your kind wishes, but I don recall ever having had a 'bad' day.'

'Then God has certainly given you a very happy life.'

'That is very true, sir.  I have never been unhappy.  In saying this I am not making any rash statement either.  This is the reason: When I have nothing to eat, I give thanks to God; when it rains or snows, I bless God's providence; when someone insults me, drives me away, or otherwise mistreats me, I give glory to God.  I said I've never had an unhappy day, and it's the truth, because I am accustomed to will unreservedly what God wills.  Whatever happens to me, sweet or bitter, I gladly receive from his hands as what is best for me.  Hence my unvarying happiness.'

'Where did you find God?'

'I found him where I left creatures.'

'Who are you anyway?'

'I am a king.'

'And where is your kingdom?'

'In my soul, where everything is in good order; where the passions obey reason, and reason obeys God.'

'How have you come to such a state of perfection?'

'By silence.  I practice silence towards men, while I cultivate the habit of speaking with God.  Conversing with God is the way I found and maintain peace of soul.'

Union with God brought this poor beggar to the very heights of perfection.  In his poverty he was richer than the mightiest monarch; in his suffering, he was vastly happier than worldlings amid heir worldly delights."


Peace be with us all! 

2 comments:

  1. I love Uniformity with God's Will! I have read it 5 or 6 times, each time with a new copy that is highlighted differently. It's amazing when you reread it to find that it touches you in a new way. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too continue to read this over and over. I am amazed at the depth if wisdom this story has inside. I only long for that insight. Thanks for sharing and inspiring

    ReplyDelete