Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Life as a House

Today is our eighth wedding anniversary.  We actually celebrated last week because my in-laws are out of town this week.  Phillip and I went to a local resort for the night.  The last time we got away together was six years ago.  And I actually got really sick so I was stuck in bed.  Johnny had his fifth birthday on Sunday.  Praise God for his life!  These events are so bittersweet for us though.  The days are comprised of mixed emotions.

There is a house a being built across the street.  We know the wonderful family who bought it.  They have completely demolished the house and are building from scratch.  They even had a HUGE hole dug to fit a basement.  As I continue to see the new progress day to day I can't help but see the deeper meaning.  The original house was fine.  It really could have simply been redone to make it a decent, nice house.  But to make it magnificent, the rebuilding from nothing would be the best path.  I have also seen the extremely hard work put into it.  I hear the men working on it at times yell in pain, as they probably touch something that has been sitting in this hot phoenix sun.  I pray for them as they toil in this heat all day long.  And seriously wonder how it's even possible.  So yes, isn't this what I must look like?  I was that original house.  I was fine, even getting some minor work done on myself.  But God's plans are much bigger for me.  He wants me to be magnificent, brand new, perfect from every part of me.  However, the path is hard work.  I have been demolished to the ground first, in order to be rebuilt.  The new construction is messy, ugly, loud, and painful but the Contractor has the blueprints and plans in hand and knows the steps that must take place to make a sturdy foundation for newness and beauty to thrive.  I sure hope this is what God is doing with me.  I don't want to remain a demolished house. 
 " 'The glory of this present house will be greater than the glory of the former house,' says the Lord Almighty.  'And in this place I will grant peace,' declares the Lord Almighty." Haggai 2:9

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! I think we are all "good enough" but He loves us too much to let us stay that way. God has so much more in store for us than "good enough". Blessings to you and Philip on your anniversary and Happy Birthday to Johnny! Hope you have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessings upon your family as you are being rebuilt through the "hot Arizona" sun days and even the cooler days of relief where progress still continues . I will share this rebuilding story with others- there is profound simbolism. Thank you for your insight.

    May God bring you through this week showered in His Grace.
    Always with love- mary ellen

    ReplyDelete