Monday, March 19, 2012

Water Water Everywhere, Yes in Arizona

The beauty of water has intrigued me surprisingly this last week. I know the health benefits, the uses of it, the power of it, and the capacity of it to change form. But I've been enamored by the sheer beauty of it. I almost feel like I haven't been able to get away from it recently. Where to start? John and I have helped my father-in-law plant his spring garden. I love all the fresh veggies! John, Gia and I go outside almost every day and check to see if anything has come up. If any new, promising life has started to crawl out of the dark, mystery earth. The other day I caught a glimpse of the drip system. The sun at dusk was peeking over the West wall, giving the fertile soil one last kiss good night. The drops of water hitting the ground looked like hundreds of flashing diamonds, taking tuns dancing and showing of their reflective splendor. I said with a tone of awe "Johnny, look!" He peered over and said with a bit of a solemn voice, "Wow, mom - beautiful." It was indeed.

The kitchen window sits over the sink as many do. Bubbles fill it - water bubbles from the pressure of the faucet, not soap bubbles. The sun gleams warmly through the glass pane. Each tiny bubble holds an entire rainbow of its own. Precious and quite incredible if you think about it. I place the fish just starting to thaw from the drive home from the store in the freezer. As I open the freezer door my eye catches another beauty of water. The light from the freezer combined with the natural light from the sun peering through the kitchen window turn the bag of frozen fish into a bag of glitter. I stop and enjoy the fairy dust-like sparkles in hand.

We had a big storm yesterday - all day. The weather dropped twenty degrees over night. Us, Arizonians weren't sure what to do. We took the children to play at an indoor play area in one of the malls. The parking lot connects to the mall by an outside walking bridge. We left around six. It was pouring hard outside but there were sunbursts all over. Just as we crossed the bridge, there was a full arched double rainbow! Not just one, but two! People were stopping and marvelling. We did too.

Why all these thoughts about water this week? I sit and ponder it, knowing there must be a revelation in here somewhere. I sit, I pray, I think, I examine, I listen. I think of an art history class I had in Rome. I loved it. It enthralled me. There was so much beauty to see, to sense, to learn about, to take in. My memory falls short on the specifics. I recall looking at some paintings that came from artists in Venice, Italy, a city built on...WATER. There was a period of art that focused solely on water, and especially the way light played on it. Artsists became intrigued by water, wanting to capture it's beauty on canvas. That's it! There's the revelation. Each moment I had that drew me to water's beauty involved light. The way the light hit it, the different light from different times, combined with different forms of water. I beheld more aspects of water's beauty by observing these different variables. I could stop there. Many people choose to. Others don't even get that far. They don't even take notice at all. Some do and take it in, admiring the water's interaction with the light. They might even be so enthralled by it, they paint it and start an era of art history. One might even receive "fuzzy and happy" feelings by observing such beauty and its dimensions. But is that all? Why stop there? Why stop at the worshipping of water? I CHOOSE to go beyond. To look at, admire, soak up, and adore the One who created each and every aspect of water. So I see His ways a little more when looking at the water. I see myself, my soul a little clearer and its relation to Him, my Creator. I see the key to water's stunning beauty and all her faces this past week was dependent on light. It was the light that could touch and reveal the water's potential to hold rainbows in all different sizes and reflections.

Is this not like my own soul and her God? The beauty potential and revelation of my soul is dependent on The Light. It is the Creator shining upon all the different facets of my revealing endless possibilities of all the potential I didn't even know was possible to begin with! A soul, like water is still something to marvel at, because of the nature of it, its purpose, its substance, but it transforms to glorious and almost magical when it is in a place where Light can reach and shine upon it. Light, melts icy hearts, Light makes one's self dance like sparkling diamonds, and hold spectacular colors within, and therefore project spectacular larger colors on the entire world. This is only possible for water with Light. However, the soul, like water must be in the right place for the Light to touch it in order for such things to even begin to take place. Grace must be received, accepted in order to take root and thrive in a soul, in a life. Light can be cut off by objects and create shadows, hindering the "AWE" effect. The soul must work endlessly to keep objects out and move ones in the way, so shadows can not be cast. She must work tirelessly to put herself in a place to only hold and project rainbows for her own sake and the sake of the world around her. THAT is where the challenge lies for each of us. Thank you my Father for speaking so loudly, and the grace to hear you. Thank you for the beauty I experienced through one of your creations this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment