Monday, December 26, 2011

Today, 8 years ago...

I was taking a shower as I timed the morning and how long it would take me to get ready. My family, including cousins, aunts, uncle, grandma, etc. all were leaving to spend the day in beautiful Carmel the day after Christmas. It is a favorite day trip place of ours. We grew up going there on the weekends or down for a special dinner. Walking around the exquisite and unique beach town of the Pebble Beach Lodge and golf course will always remain at the top of the most beautiful places in my mind's eye. My parents had gone to Mass and coffee. The phone rang. My sister came in bathroom as I was in the midst of showering, "Dad called and said you need to pick mom up at the Poor Clare's." (The tucked away Catholic Monastery in the hills of Pleasant Valley in Corralitos, my home town. About a seven minute drive from the house.) "You've got to be kidding me!" I think in my head as my sister gives me the chore. "I can't," I told her. "I'm still in the shower and I still have to get ready to go!" I was infuriated at my mom for pulling a last minute demand on me. "You go get her." I eventually came out the shower, my sister hadn't left and the phone rang again. My mom needed to be picked up and I was throwing a fit. My hair was sopping wet. I threw on slippers and my dad's huge windbreaker jacket. I drove to the monastery as fast as I could. I jumped out of the car opened up the large wood door. I looked inside and my mom was no where to be seen. Now I was furious. I shut the door jumped back in the car and went home. I pulled up into the driveway and my parents were getting out of their car. "What on earth happened?!!" I exclaimed. "I was in the shower, trying to get ready to leave, you called me, I left and you weren't even there!" They looked at me so puzzled. They finally asked, "Well...was anyone there?" Annoyed and frusterated I remarked, "There was some guy kneeling in the front pew." My dad continued, "Well, did you see who the guy was? You better go back." I looked at my attire, knowing it was not what I would like to remember myself in when I received my proposal, but I had no choice. I jumped back into the car and drove even faster than I did the first time. I was beaming. The sun was shining on the crisp December morning. I had the classical music station on for some reason and the VERY song I always wanted to walk down the isle to was playing - O Mio Bambino Caro by Giacomo Puccini. Isn't heaven so lovely. God is such a Lover!

I ran back into the church. Phillip turned around, thankful I returned. We greeted each other and he told me that before he could even turn around the door shut and he heard the car start and drive off. We laughed. He then continued with his proposal. We sat with Jesus in the beautiful monastery my family has been a part of and served starting with my grandparents. All of a sudden we heard voices and My dad had driven our 12 seater van with all of my siblings to spy in on any action they could view. The day continued and we met all of the family for dinner in Carmel as we celebrated the new path God had been leading us on for eight years. My heart couldn't even believe that it had finally come to pass. I truly experienced God's faithfulness to the desire of my heart that day. For He never did forget the petition I asked of Him eight years prior - that even if life continued to happen and even if I forgot about Phillip, that He, my Father would never forget that true desire of mine. And of course I never did forget about Phillip over those eight years, God was sowing much during that time in each of us, for us, for Him. Praise be to the Father! It was then, and even more so now to me, well worth the wait.

1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful story! I love it each and every time I hear it. Your wedding was such a blessed event and I was so happy to be there to witness such love! God bless you and Phillip forever!

    ReplyDelete